2017-10-04 / Front Page

Georgia-Pacific Historical Marker


Pictured, from left: A.D. “Pete” Correll, past chairman and CEO of Georgia-Pacific; Jim Hannan, immediate past president and CEO of Georgia-Pacific; Christian Fischer, president and CEO of Georgia-Pacific; Dr. Todd Groce, president and CEO of the Georgia Historical Society; Walter M. “Sonny” Deriso, Vice Chairman of the GHS Board of Curators; and Curley Dossman, president of the Georgia-Pacific Foundation. Pictured, from left: A.D. “Pete” Correll, past chairman and CEO of Georgia-Pacific; Jim Hannan, immediate past president and CEO of Georgia-Pacific; Christian Fischer, president and CEO of Georgia-Pacific; Dr. Todd Groce, president and CEO of the Georgia Historical Society; Walter M. “Sonny” Deriso, Vice Chairman of the GHS Board of Curators; and Curley Dossman, president of the Georgia-Pacific Foundation. The Georgia Historical Society has recognized Georgia-Pacific with a Georgia historical marker as the latest honoree of the Georgia Business History Initiative.

Each year, the GHS initiative recognizes iconic companies in the state to teach Georgia students, citizens and tourists alike about the pivotal role of the state’s leading businesses in the economic, cultural and social development of Georgia and the United States.

“Georgia-Pacific is one of our state’s oldest companies and its products are recognized for their quality all over the world. So it is only fitting that the Georgia Historical Society should help tell the story of this remarkable company on its 90th birthday,” said Dr. W. Todd Groce, President and CEO of the Georgia Historical Society. “Georgia-Pacific is a great corporate citizen and I want to thank them for all they do for the people of Georgia and for their participation in this special initiative.”

The historical marker was unveiled Sept. 26 at a ceremony outside the Georgia-Pacific Center, the company’s downtown Atlanta headquarters location for the last 35 years.

“We’re honored and humbled to be recognized by the Georgia Historical Society with this marker — it’s a significant gesture to share in the history of this great state,” said Christian Fischer, president and CEO of Georgia-Pacific. “Today we celebrate the culmination of hard work and resilience by the thousands of hardworking employees over nearly a century.”

The Historical Marker reads:

Georgia-Pacific

Owen R. Cheatham founded the Georgia Hardwood Lumber Company in Augusta, GA, in 1927. By 1938, the company operated five lumberyards in the South. To broaden its product line, the company purchased its first Pacific Coast facility — a plywood plant — in 1947. In 1948, the company was renamed Georgia-Pacific Plywood and Lumber Company and was listed on the New York Stock Exchange in 1949. Its first operation outside North America began in the Philippines in 1963. Georgia-Pacific Center, the company’s corporate headquarters, was built in 1982 on the site of Loew’s Grand Theatre, where Gone with the Wind premiered in 1939. At its 90th anniversary in 2017, Georgia-Pacific was one of the world's leading manufacturers of consumer products, building products, packaging, and pulp with tens of thousands of employees across the globe, including 7,500 in Georgia.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and Georgia- Pacific

Return to top