Southern Company honored with historical marker
The Georgia Historical Society unveiled a new Georgia historical marker recognizing Southern Company as an honoree of the Georgia Business History Initiative. The historical marker was erected at 30 Ivan Allen Boulevard at Southern Company’s Head-quarters in Atlanta.
Speakers for the event included Dr. W. Todd Groce, President and CEO of the Georgia Historical Society, and Mr. Chris Womack, Executive Vice President and President of External Affairs at Southern Company.
“As a Flagship-level member of the Business History Initiative, the story of Southern Company will be available in exciting new ways to Georgia students and teachers through GHS educational resources and the new historical marker that we dedicate today,” said Dr. W. Todd Groce, President and CEO of the Georgia Historical Society.
Each year the Georgia Historical Society selects iconic companies as honorees of the prestigious Georgia Business History Initiative. Through the Business History Initiative, GHS seeks to teach Georgia students, citizens and tourists alike about the pivotal role of Georgia’s leading businesses in the economic, cultural and social development of Georgia and the United States.
The historical marker reads:
Southern Company traces its roots to 1912, when the first of a series of holding companies was formed to build a power grid and provide reliable electricity across the Southeast. Alabama Power, Georgia Power, Gulf Power and Mississippi Power – the major utilities that make up Southern Company – began coordinating their operations in the 1920s. Southern Company in its current form was approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission in 1947.
Based in Atlanta, the company was a catalyst for the broader distribution of affordable electricity, which attracted new industries to the Southeast and contributed to the post-World War II economic boom. Today, Southern Company and its subsidiaries provide energy to customers throughout the United States.
Georgia Historical Society is the premier independent statewide institution responsible for collecting, examining, and teaching Georgia history. GHS houses the oldest and most distinguished collection of materials related exclusively to Georgia history in the nation.